Cities are an issue in Australia, and especially Sydney. The latest barrage of anti Sydney pieces below:
- Opinion on the more common experience of people making plans to leave Sydney
- Labor announced changes to the imputation tax credit which led to political horseplay about taxes. The question is – is it unfair to stop rich people getting cash handouts from taxpayers??
- An explanation of how the house crisis came to be, from Ross Gittins in the SMH
- This is all probably based on, a study by the Grattan Institute on housing affordability
- I also stumbled across a random story outlining the decline of public transport in Sydney. You could blame a lot of these issues on planning and government decisions. Lobbying from interested parties (or legitimized corruption) as always played a big role in screwing our cities, which is unfortunately remains an issue in governments today.
For some hope, there is at least a local newspaper starting around Sydney that seems to have some good ideas and potential. Hopefully it sticks.